Friday, August 10, 2012

Rock-solid remembrance

I'm not much of an artist with a paintbrush, but when other parents at Faith's Lodge were painting rocks in memory of their babies who had died, I was quick to join in.

It was nice to spend some quiet time reflecting on Isabelle and her short time with us. It was also nice to create something solid, tangible in her memory.

We used colorful acrylic paints - some parents wrote names, some drew pictures and another included a logo from the family's favorite sports team. I let the paint on Izzy's rock dry for several hours (some used a hair dryer to quickly dry their paint) then sprayed several coats of a shellack on the rock to protect the paint.

I planned to place Izzy's rock with several other rocks outside at Faith's Lodge; some parents took their rocks home where they would prominently display them. 
I carefully selected the perfect spot for Izzy's rock along one of the Faith's Lodge paths, and in the sea of colorful rocks I found comfort knowing we are never alone in this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment